For the Preparation of JEE mains , NEET , Class 12 & Class 12 Chemistry the Hybridization is a very important COncept .
HYBRIDIZATION is defined as the intermixing of atomic orbitals belongings to same atom but having slightly different energies so that redistribution of energies takes place b/n them & resulting in the formation of new orbitals of equal energies and identical shape.
The orbital thus formed is known as hybridized orbital shape of hybrid orbitals.
PREDICTION OF HYBRIDISATION IN DIFFERENT COMPOUNDS
- The steric numberof a molecule is the number of atoms bonded to the central atom of a
molecule plus the number of lone pairs on the central atom
By steric number we can Predict Hybridisation .
- FOR HYDOCARBONS :
Number of sigma bond attached to a carbon represent the number of orbitals involved in hybridization.
Practice Question for JEE & NEET :
- Predict Hybridisation AB2 , :AB2 ? Ans = SP , SP2
- Predict the hybridization in following compounds -
- (a) H2O (b)NH3 (c)CO3-2 (d) H2SO4 (e) H2SO3 (f) KMnO4 (g) K2Cr2O7 (h)H-Cl
(i)O2 (j) K4[Fe (CN)6]
- The hybridization of Ag in [Ag (NH3)4]+ is –
(a) dsp2 (b) sp (c) sp2 (d) sp3
- Predict the hybridisation in following
(a)CH3 – CH = CH – C Ξ CH
(b)CH2 = C = CH – C - H